Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: WANTED: NZ pet lovers to host my babies for three months  (Read 1841 times)

Offline JaniceK

WANTED: NZ pet lovers to host my babies for three months
« on: September 13, 2012, 06:00:00 pm »
Hi pet lovers :help:

I am in the process of organising my move from South Africa to Australia....wait, I know this is a NZ website but please hear me out :)

I am trying to find ANY WAY to spare my four-legged kids the seven months of quarantine that Australia requires if they are imported directly from South Africa. If I could find a pet-loving, responsible, trustworthy family who would be willing to host my two doggies for three months in their home in New Zealand, then my dogs would only need to endure 10 days of quarantine on first arrival in New Zealand! Naturally, I would compensate the host family financially for this service.

I will obviously go into much more detail down the line, but size-wise the dogs are small (a cross-Pekinese) and small-to-medium (a smallish spaniel). They are both loving 'inside' dogs who are used to being part of the family.

Please let me have any comments and ideas that you may have. If you are a bunny-hugger like I am, you will definitely understand why I am looking for alternatives to quarantine.

Cheers
Janice
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 06:06:02 pm by JaniceK »

Offline maxnmike

Re: WANTED: NZ pet lovers to host my babies for three months
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 08:19:20 pm »
Hi there - Are you sure they only need to be quarantined in NZ for 10 days coming from SA? Thats the first time that I have heard that. I also think that for someone to "host" your dogs here they would be "importing" them and as such would have to go through huge paper work etc? I have a sneaky suspicion that it may not be as easy as you are hoping. Just some thoughts, I could be entirely off the mark, but certainly worth looking into. Good luck with your endeavors!!

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 08:19:20 pm »

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 09:23:41 pm »
Hmmm, I think you may need to phone them.  Their site does state minimum 10 days, however, other sites that actually do the importing, say between 30 and 120 days for South Africa. 

Better make sure. 

I would gladly have helped out, but have my hands full with 3 dogs, 1 pig and numerous chooks . 

Good luck

Offline JaniceK

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 09:31:36 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

I will double-check with Keringa Kennels here in SA - they are the quarantine and pet travel agents recognised by Australia – but what I've learned so far is it's seven months quarantine (in total) if the pets are going to Australia. Some of those months (six, I think) can be done in SA at Keringa with the last month being done in Aus. If they are going to NZ it's 30 days quarantine in SA (which can be done at home with vet supervision) and then 10 days on arrival in NZ. For the pets to then go to Australia from NZ they need to have been in NZ for three months.

Obviously I will have to go through all the proper importing procedures (vaccinations, official forms etc).

If you can think of any genuine animal lovers who would be prepared to host them for three months, please direct them to my message. Maybe someone in NZ wants to start a small business 'hosting' pets? Just a thought...

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 10:49:58 pm »
Here is another angle, if you can't find someone to take your doggies.  Find a kennel here in NZ.  We have one nearby, where they are put into nice enclosures, fed good food, loved, taken for walks, etc etc.  For 2 dogs, I think it is $40 a day, which is pricey.  But perhaps there is a similar place that is cheaper ? 

When do you expect them to be over if you can find someone ?