Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: I have 5 dogs, now what?  (Read 5079 times)

Offline vulpes

Re: I have 5 dogs, now what?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 10:35:42 pm »
Also, just so you know, lifestyle properties doesn't mean the landlord will allow you to have pets. Even the one we looked at that did allow pets and was fenced, the landlord said our dog was too big.

Look, for us it worked out because we have ended up in a property we wouldn't have looked at otherwise, and it's lovely, but I think we got super lucky. And prior to finally getting this house, we were looking at having to re home our dog here in nz with friends, until we could find a suitable rental.

And that's just with ONE dog.

23/08/2010 EOI Submitted
25/08/2010 EOI Selected
10/09/2010 EOI Selection Rescinded
23/05/2010 EOI Re Selected
06/06/2011 ITA Received
27/11/2011 ITA Submitted
10/12/2011 ITA Rejected
16/03/2012 ITA ReSubmitted
11/05/2012 CO Assigned
14/09/2012 Phone Interview
26/10/2012 PR Approved
15/02/2013 In NZ

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 09:32:41 pm »
I was the one that has to have a kennel license as I have 3 dogs.  Quite ridiculous, because although we are on 3/4 of an acre, we live on an estate which is 26 hectares and there are only 10 houses, and we are the only ones wiht a fence.  Not that this deters my two dogs in any way  :tickedoff:   

We have been extremely lucky in that our landlady has allowed us to have any animal we want.  However, this is now coming back to bite us in the bum.  She is coming back to live here, and now we are faced with the immensely difficult situation of finding a home, with suitable fencing (I can wish that my dogs don't jump !!  ) for 3 dogs, a pet miniature kune kune pig, lots of chickens, and 4 ducks.  I think I need to buy, but can't afford to yet. 

If I could go back a while, I would not have got any of the animals.  Seriously.  I love them all, but it is expensive to feed, we have dog insurance as vets are incredibly expensive (has paid off twice already ) we have met dog control too many times so that is immensely stressful, AND now we are facing having to find a place that will accept this menagerie.  Add to that, we can't just go off for a weekend.  Think about that, who will look after your dogs when you have no family here ?  We have had one nightmare with a house sitter who just phoned and said it was too much work and she was leaving. 

Luckily my landlady says she will keep all our animals if we can't get a place, but this does not help with our 3 dogs who are a handful.  I keep on threatening to rehome them and my girls start crying and I do love them. 

So, please rethink .  Seriously, you are setting yourself up for a load of heartache and stress. 

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 09:32:41 pm »

Offline Siouxzee

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 12:31:05 am »
I agree with Sayvala as hard as it was to leave my babies and I have shed many tears over them and still miss them after being here I am so glad I did not bring them. The tolerance for animals here in my opinion seems incredibly low. Landlords are quite anti and incredibly strict even the rental agents. I find it stressful renting just with children continually watching every move they make to ensure they don't make a mark anywhere. We have 2 cats one came with us from SA and that just adds to the stress in trying to find a rental. In saying all that you could hit a luck like Vulpes but I seriously doubt it with 5 dogs :( my heart goes out to you as I fully understand how hard it is. We used to have our 2 dogs and 5 cats all sleeping in our room at night everyone had their spot.
EOI Submission - December 2010
EOI Selected - December 2010
ITA Received - December 2010
Awaiting Police Clearance
ITA Submitted - 03 March 2011
PR Interview - 15 March 2011
PR Approved - 18 March 2011
Passports sent and then received back - 30 March 2011
Arrive in NZ - 19 June 2011

Offline Dan

• Happy for people to friend me on FB as well.
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 09:31:31 am »
Cats are one thing but dogs are quite another matter.

Most people with dogs (even those bizarre 'hand-bag' dogs) won't get a rental.  I agree with you Siouxzee, the tolerance for animals (especially dogs) is very low. 

I think the majority of dogs in New Zealand belong to people who own their own home.  But for people who are renting its quite another matter.  In saying that there are around 1,800 houses in Wattle Downs and there are very few dogs.  If a dog were to roam around here it automatically gets impounded if caught.

The good thing is most dog owners in New Zealand are very responsible and keep their dogs on a leesh, and they pick up their creature's deposits when out walking. 

Offline vulpes

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2013, 10:37:18 pm »
Dan is right, people who own dogs are really responsible in the parks. We live right next to a very big one that is very popular with dog owners and I have never seen dog mess here even once. Everyone picks up after themselves which is fantastic.
23/08/2010 EOI Submitted
25/08/2010 EOI Selected
10/09/2010 EOI Selection Rescinded
23/05/2010 EOI Re Selected
06/06/2011 ITA Received
27/11/2011 ITA Submitted
10/12/2011 ITA Rejected
16/03/2012 ITA ReSubmitted
11/05/2012 CO Assigned
14/09/2012 Phone Interview
26/10/2012 PR Approved
15/02/2013 In NZ

Offline Gypsymom

• In the winterless north
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 10:50:26 pm »
 :'( My heart breaks for you at the thought of leaving your dogs behind.  I brought my 2 small dogs over with me, and I would do it again,  BUT, everyone is correct when they say NZ is not dog tolerant.  I was extremely lucky to have found a rental where I could keep them, but I had to search for quite a while.  Landlords have been put off my irresponsible dog owners.   With 5 dogs you would really find it hard if not impossible.  It is expensive, but a least the quarantine period has been shortened to 10 days.  I had no one to leave my dogs with and would not leave them with strangers so I had no choice.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Not an easy decision.   :gl: :(
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline Dan

• Happy for people to friend me on FB as well.
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2013, 04:06:10 am »
I hope no one thinks a prospective community of migrants alone are being picked on, because they are not.  Dog control rules apply to everyone in New Zealand, and landlords are picky because they are entitled to be.  There is a shortage of properties available in New Zealand, so the cost is high and the landlord generally has the luxury of offering stringent tenancy agreement conditions.

What non-New Zealand residents need to remember is a lot of homes in New Zealand are not fenced.  Even if people have fences, many are low fences for the purpose of developing gardens and private courtyards rather than as a means of providing security.  Many lovely homes in New Zealand are completely unsuitable for dogs.

The infringement fine in Auckland for either failing to keep a dog under control, or failing to keep a dog controlled or confined is NZ$200 per offence.  Failure to register a dog, failure to have the dog chipped, and failure to undertake a dog owner education programme or dog obedience course is NZ$300.

http://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/EN/LICENCESREGULATIONS/DOGSANDANIMALS/DOGRULES/Pages/dogfines.aspx#payments

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2013, 04:06:10 am »

Offline Siouxzee

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013, 09:56:56 am »
Dan - I dont think you need to worry :) I don't think anyone here thinks that migrants are being picked on at all. The same rules pertain to anyone, citizen, resident or on a work permit. The fact is rightly or wrongly it is haveas much of a dog tolerant society as say South Africa when just about everyone I knew owned a dog and alot of people not for security but more as another member of the family.
I think the laws around keeping dogs are great as I have mentioned before there are so many irresponsible dog owners and it is ultimately the dogs that suffer. I wish we had more stringent rules in South Africa as it is heart breaking to see the amount of animal abuse, stray animals running around, puppy farms and the like. The many animals that places like the SPCA, Wetnose etc have to take in is ridiculous. Again I am not saying that it does not happen in NZ but it is not on such a large scale and in the 2yrs I have been here I have not see a stray starved homeless dog walking the streets.
EOI Submission - December 2010
EOI Selected - December 2010
ITA Received - December 2010
Awaiting Police Clearance
ITA Submitted - 03 March 2011
PR Interview - 15 March 2011
PR Approved - 18 March 2011
Passports sent and then received back - 30 March 2011
Arrive in NZ - 19 June 2011