Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: I have 5 dogs, now what?  (Read 5079 times)

Offline TheJo

I have 5 dogs, now what?
« on: March 11, 2013, 06:39:35 pm »
Hi all,

Although we are still planning and researching from SA, we would dearly like to take as many of our dogs as possible. From what I understand it is difficult to rent a place with a dog; more difficult with 2 and I'm guessing impossible with 5.

I haven't been able to find out whether there is a limit on the number of pets one can keep in a residential area, although I did see a post about needing a kennel license if you have more than 2 dogs in less than an acre.

I've also read numerous times that complete boundary fences are not that common in NZ (how do they control so many dogs?). If it is at all possible to have 5 dogs in a residential area, then I could arrange to have them stay at family in SA until we are in a position to bring them over to NZ.

Any suggestions and advice would be most welcome.
11 Feb 15: Residence visa approved

Offline [email protected]

Re: I have 5 dogs, now what?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 11:21:10 am »
Sad to say, but do believe it is very expensive to bring your dog to nz. Speaking under correction someone told me they paid R40 000 per dog.  It is seldom that they allow dogs in rental properties.  Fencing is not at all like SA.  Have not seen one property with devils fork fencing  in town I stay. Am a year in nz and think in all the time have seen only one dog running in street.  Good luck I have 8 in SA and "speak" now and then on skype with them

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 11:21:10 am »

Offline Bron

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 11:41:32 am »
Hi There

In total it will be costing us R40 000 to bring our 2 pugs across, it is more expensive for us as they have snub noses and certain airlines will not fly them. This includes the cost of quarantine and using pet travel agents, you have to use them.

It is more difficult to rent with dogs, I have been studying trademe.nz to get an idea, but I do believe it is possible. Even in SA we have battled to find a rental property which allows dogs. You would probably need to try rent a property in a rural area.

I just cannot leave my babies behind, so we are saving like crazy.

Hope this helps :)

Offline Zedd

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 12:33:07 pm »
I've been quoted at 18k for 2 mini schanuzers and a cat from Petwings.  Jhb to Auckland.
18 March 2013 - EOI submitted
3 April 2013 - EOI selected
10 May 2013 - ITA issued
23 July 2013 - ITA submitted
18 Sep 2014 - Resident visas approved
28 Feb 2015 - The chicken has landed!

Offline TheJo

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 01:01:33 pm »
Thank you guys. Do they quote you according to breed or according to size or just per dog. I have a: jack russell terrier, a sheltie, a cross-breed terrier (some say australian cattle dog but I don't see it), a siberian husky, and a white alsation. I can't believe it costs so much.

If anyone knows: if you are lucky enough to be employer-sponsored and they pay your relocation costs would that include pets?

Offline Bron

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 03:57:12 pm »
Its based on the weight and size of the dog, as the bigger the dog the bigger the sky kennel will be.

Let me know if you want the name of the pet travel company we will be using?

Offline vulpes

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 10:47:00 pm »
A word of warning, out of the 200 odd properties that were available for rent in the area we were looking, only 5, yes that's right, 5 landlords were willing to consider a dog. Of those, 2 wouldn't accept any dogs bigger than a 'handbag' dog. Plus, were were lucky and not hugely restricted on our rental budget. If we had been, we literally would not have been able to rent anything at all.
23/08/2010 EOI Submitted
25/08/2010 EOI Selected
10/09/2010 EOI Selection Rescinded
23/05/2010 EOI Re Selected
06/06/2011 ITA Received
27/11/2011 ITA Submitted
10/12/2011 ITA Rejected
16/03/2012 ITA ReSubmitted
11/05/2012 CO Assigned
14/09/2012 Phone Interview
26/10/2012 PR Approved
15/02/2013 In NZ

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 10:47:00 pm »

Offline Anna007

• Browns Bay, NZ
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 07:02:14 am »
I know it would be impossible, but I would suggest you re-think your decision to bring all your dogs to NZ...

We only have one dog, and with licencing, vet fees, food and all the rest it can be really expensive. Not the same as in SA.

You can go here http://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/EN/licencesregulations/dogsandanimals/registration/Pages/owningmorethanonedog.aspx to check on requirements to keep more than one dog and all other dog related stuff regulated by the different councils  8)

Also, this may come over a bit weird, but I'll mention it anyway, in NZ dogs are mainly kept as pets, not as guard dogs, be sure you don't have any barking or behavioral issues with your dogs as it is frowned upon in NZ and you can even get fined...

The best thing about NZ and dogs is that it is regulated and it is so awesome to walk with your dog on the beach (no doubt you will be close to a beach) ;D

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for"

Offline TheJo

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 08:15:16 am »
@ Anna007 thanks for that link. As you say, not like owning a dog in SA. I have never considered my dogs as guard dogs - none of them are vicious. However, I do have some that like to bark now and then, even though compared to other dogs in my area are relatively quiet. It seems that even if I were lucky enough to be able to own a home I might still run into complications Re the size of the property and how many dogs allowed.

Offline Anna007

• Browns Bay, NZ
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 03:37:23 am »
I suppose everyone's situation is different  8)

If you are going to bring 5 dogs a lifestyle property would be your best bet (known as a plot in SA), only difference is, living on a plot in NZ you don't have to fear for your life when going to bed every night  ;D

:gl: with your journey and all the decisions you will have to make !
"What we see depends mainly on what we look for"

Offline minette

• Life is life - lala la lalaa
    • Herbalicious - Minette's Herbs & Herbals
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 05:14:20 am »
Hi all, maybe this could be of some help to those with pets looking for short term or holiday accommodation in NZ - http://www.petscancometoo.co.nz/

They say:
"Now you can locate good quality, pet friendly holiday homes in New Zealand quickly and easily.

On 'Pets Can Come Too' you will find a range of accommodation to suit all budgets and holiday styles from home stays / bed & breakfasts to apartments and motels / hotels.

Finding pet friendly holiday homes means your whole family can enjoy a break and receive a warm welcome. "
Residency approved: 05/07/13
Work Visa approved: 06/05/13
ITA Received: 6 May 2013
EOI Selected: 03/05/13
EOI Submitted: 01/05/13
Applied for Work Visa: 26/04/13
Medicals: 24/04/13
Job offer: 12/04/13
Landed in Auckland: 05/02/13
House sold: 01/11/11
Decision to move to NZ: 08/12/08

Offline TheJo

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 09:17:55 am »
@Anna007, thanks for the suggestion! I didn't know about lifestyle properties. This could definitely be an option. :clap:

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 09:17:55 am »

Offline Dan

• Happy for people to friend me on FB as well.
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 06:08:28 am »
If you have five dogs, adopt them out. Apart from the prohibitive cost, few landlords (if any) are going to be too keen to house a pack of dogs. And even if you can find a willing landlord, its not much use if the property is not fenced as you would then have to keep the muts tied up.

If you must bring a dog it needs to be chipped and registered. If it is not and then strays, if it is picked up it risks being put down by animal control. There have been too many cases were people have been injured by dogs, so there is little sympathy for or  tolerance of roaming canines.

Offline TheJo

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 05:15:29 pm »
@Dan. It's a difficult decision to make. I don't really think I've made it  :'(. Sometimes I think of giving them to my folks and to my in-laws but they both have many pets of their own. I know I couldn't take all 5. I find myself thinking maybe I can take 3 or 2 ... I wouldn't want to take just 1 (I always think one needs at least 2 dogs). But then, to choose between them (how???). I know that when the time comes I will have to decide but ....

[p.s hope you're feeling better after your attack]

Offline Dan

• Happy for people to friend me on FB as well.
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 10:14:30 pm »
@TheJo - it's not easy but you will need to harden your heart and accept it is one of the sad realities of this great challenge.  Renting a home with multiple dogs in New Zealand is next to impossible.  Yes it can be done, but I would recommend that you be as flexible as you can because you may have to move anywhere depending on your future job situation.

Thanks for the best wishes.  The antibiotics are working well.  O0