Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Our 3 doggies and the entire process  (Read 1857 times)

Offline dawie.havenga

Our 3 doggies and the entire process
« on: March 25, 2015, 01:56:22 pm »
Hi all reading this

I thought I should share my journey with getting our 3 dogs (more like children in our house) into NZ. Well we started with our PR process about a year ago; we immediately started the process for the dogs top go with. There was never a doubt that they will go, that was the first condition the wife and I decided on. We started with the microchip and rabies vaccination as these needs to be in a few months before you can do the rabies antibody tests. We started with the final 30 day treatments and testing on the 24th of February 2015 and all was according to plan at that stage. We prepared ourselves for an intense 30 days with treatments and tests that has to happen on specific dates. 16 days out the troubles actually started, I took my dogs for the tests and it takes about 10-12days to get the results back (fyi these test are conducted at Onderstepoort). We received the results back and one of my dogs tested positive for one of the diseases (leptospira). This however was not a train smash as there was still enough time for the 5 day treatment of Dihydrostreptomycin as per the MPI requirements. We gave the info through to the vet and they in the interim had a chat with Onderstepoort as this treatment and decease is not a regular thing. Onderstepoort’s pharmacist prescribed a medication called Biostrep (active ingredient Streptomycin and not Dihydrostreptomycin), which is in principal the same thing and treats this disease effectively.

Perfect we are on track again, at least so we thought. I sent all the details through to the quarantine facility (Pethaven) so that they are aware of what we did regarding this positive test. They relayed this info to the MPI people, these guys issue the import permits. They came back a day later saying that the Streptomycin is not accepted as treatment and it must be Dihydrostreptomycin. What the hell now, we are 4 days out from departure? They said they can consider an equivalence request but the vet has to supply literature supporting the use of this meds as an effective treatment for Leptospira. In a rush we postponed the departure by a day as we needed to wait for an answer from NZ after submitting the Vet’s report and the lab results. Keep in mind that NZ is 11 hours ahead therefore always a day’s wait to get response. 2days out they came back and said that everything is in order the dogs can go, the positive result is for a non-aggressive form of leptospira and therefore not seen as a danger. COOL we are over the moon, all is on track as planned and we took the dogs for the final check-up, internal and external parasite treatment and then…you guessed it, SPEEDBUMB AGAIN.

Remember we postponed the departure because we were waiting for the final answer from MPI NZ. Qantas could not give us a booking for the 25th  of March (one day after the original 24th) as they were booked to capacity. No problems, we will take the 26th of March as this should not be an issue. Today the 25th our pet relocation company took all the documents to the state vet to be signed off and then the s…t hit the fan again. The tests conducted on the 16days prior to departure will be 18days old on the 26th not falling in the allowed recommended timeframe, therefore the state vet will not sign off the doc’s until he has the go ahead from MPI NZ.

I just send the email to MPI NZ (25 March) pleading for leniency on this rule as it was out of our control. First the Streptomycin story and then Qantas could not assist on a closer date. I have no hair left on my head and no finger nails to bite with this stress.  :uglystupid2: :'( I will update the blog on the developments and if they allowed my 3 furry family members to fly tomorrow the 26th of March.

Please take special care when you do the treatments and tests in order to make 100% sure it is the right thing and that it falls within the prescribed timeframes.

Let’s see what happens! If anybody experienced similar situations please feel free to give some words of encouragement!!  :help: :welcome:

Will keep you updated of what happens over the next 24 hours.

Offline Zedd

Re: Our 3 doggies and the entire process
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 10:07:16 pm »
Best of luck, Dawie.  It was a surprise to us that "revolution" isn't an accepted topical treatment, either.  Apparently, it's only registered against for one type of tick.  Frontline is accepted though.  We confirmed all the medications with MPI.  They're very helpful.  We emailed our proposed treatments and they came back pretty quickly.  Did you go through a local agent to export your pets?
18 March 2013 - EOI submitted
3 April 2013 - EOI selected
10 May 2013 - ITA issued
23 July 2013 - ITA submitted
18 Sep 2014 - Resident visas approved
28 Feb 2015 - The chicken has landed!

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 10:07:16 pm »

Offline dawie.havenga

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 03:27:34 pm »
Hi Zedd, Yes MPI was really helpful and issued an extension on our permit within a few hours, the only bummer was I had to pay again for the permit. My babies are on the plane as we speak (26th March 2015)...Finally  :yippee:

Yes we used a local pet relocating company (Menlyn Pet Relocations) they were also extremely helpful and always assisted no matter the time of day/night. They really come highly recommended from my side.. O0

Now it's just the stress until they safely arrive at Pethaven.

Offline Gypsymom

• In the winterless north
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 08:44:15 pm »
 :D Good on you for persevering.   :gl2:
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]