Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Rehoming of Dogs  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Shellibel

Rehoming of Dogs
« on: January 18, 2016, 12:59:27 pm »
Has anybody had to make the hard decision to leave their dogs behind? We have to as we are moving into a townhouse rental. I contacted Barking Mad who do pet rehoming but I obviously have immense guilt over this. Who has used a rehoming service before or does anyone know how I could find a home for my 2 doggies aged 4?

Offline TheJo

Re: Rehoming of Dogs
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 09:35:17 am »
I don't know what area you're in but this lady helped with the re-homing of my dogs [email protected] (Jhb region).

I'm sorry you have to go through this, I still miss my dogs.
11 Feb 15: Residence visa approved

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 09:35:17 am »

Offline Shellibel

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 09:43:34 am »
Thank you TheJo I really appreciate your assistance xx

Offline Shellibel

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 02:43:48 pm »
TheJo this is the response I got from her

Hello Michelle,

I am presently closing down the organisation,  so I am not taking any more dogs.

The success rate is negligible,  if your dog is a cross breed they stand little or next to no chance of finding a home, you are simply adding to an already bloated crisis to which we have zero solutions, by abandoning your dogs to a shelter instead of being responsible - pets are for life,  not disposable, take them with you. you are going to put these dogs through a very uncertain future with no potential happy ending, they could sit at a pro-life shelter for years, that's if you are lucky enough to find a pro-life shelter that has any space.

All shelters are beyond full with people dumping their dogs because they too are emigrating and leaving their responsibilities behind, for whatever reasons they have chosen.

If you had children, would you leave them behind too because your future plans cant accommodate them?

Sadly I can not assist your dogs for whom I feel so desperately sorry that you've made your decision to leave them behind.

Whilst this all may sound harsh its a reality that we deal with every day.

Im shutting the organisation because no one wants cross breed dogs , many of whom have been sitting here waiting for a home for years with no hope in sight. Its a very sad situation for these unwanted souls. Maybe if you witnessed it or the tens of thousands that are euthanased weekly at SPCA's around the country, you might have a change of heart.

Wendy

Offline TheJo

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 07:07:00 am »
Wow, sorry that you had a reply like that. It sounds as though she is burnt out trying to re-home dogs. Have you looked at taking your dogs with you? It is possible, and they have a great life here with the beaches and parks.

We unfortunately had to give up our dogs because we lost our home. We only decided to try immigrating after that - once you've lost everything then you have nothing more left to lose.
11 Feb 15: Residence visa approved

Offline Shellibel

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 07:33:43 am »
She didn't  make me feel any better! We have thought about it but we will most likely not have a place with a garden

I managed to get hold of Barking Mad and they were very helpful and non judgemental