Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Dogs??!!  (Read 7308 times)

Offline hadenough

• Certified Addict
Re: Dogs??!!
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 07:54:42 am »
Thanks MJ
Will take a look at that

Offline minette

• Life is life - lala la lalaa
    • Herbalicious - Minette's Herbs & Herbals
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 10:02:36 pm »
Got this quote today for kenneling in NZ for the quarantine period:

PRICE LIST
Quarantine Charges:

Cats $24 / day

Per Dog                           Small dog                  Medium Dog             Large Dog
                                           10 kg                        10-25 kg                     25 kg plus
Quarantine fee per day      $34                               $38                              $42
120 Days                          $4080                            $4560                          $5040
Airport collection             $110                              $110                            $110
GST                                  $523.75                        $583.75                      $643.75
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total                          $4713.75                 $5253.75                $5793.75
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plus Additional Charges per Consignment
Air New Zealand Handling Fee                                                                           $33.75
MAF (Airport clearance)                                                                                     $36.16
NZ Customs Import Transaction Fee                                                                  $35.00
Customs EDI fee                                                                                                  $8.00
Service Administration Fee                                                                                 $6.00
NZ Customs Entry Fee                                                                                        $70.00
Agricultural Permit                                                                                              $25.00       
MAF Clearance (micro-chip reading)                                                                 $11.00                         
MAF Charges Per Pet
Inspection Fee                                             $30.00 x 17 weekly visits                 $510.00
Flea and worm treatment                                                                                      $40.00
GST                                                                                                                       $96.86
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Additional Charges                                                                                 $871.77
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Residency approved: 05/07/13
Work Visa approved: 06/05/13
ITA Received: 6 May 2013
EOI Selected: 03/05/13
EOI Submitted: 01/05/13
Applied for Work Visa: 26/04/13
Medicals: 24/04/13
Job offer: 12/04/13
Landed in Auckland: 05/02/13
House sold: 01/11/11
Decision to move to NZ: 08/12/08

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 10:02:36 pm »

Offline TheRindels

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 04:12:53 am »
Personally I think its cruel. If you bring your animals then you are ONLY doing it for your own selfish needs. Think of it from the animals' point of view, and keep in mind that the 'experts' reckon that its relocation that causes the most stress on animals.

Lets have a look at your pets' journey...

relocation 1) Quarantine in SA
relocation 2) Flight to NZ
relocation 3) Quarantine in NZ - long enough to not remember you
relocation 4) Move to your new house
relocation 5) No doubt the first six months to a year will be in a rental, so you'll have to move

So that's 4-5 relocations! If I was a pet and I knew what was coming, I would want you to give me to a loving home in SA. (Actually I'd probably just run away).

We gave our 3 dogs and 2 cats to loving homes (took a bit of time). We still get photos of them (from the new owners) from time to time and I can guarantee they don't miss us. (It's only us that misses them).

Now let's see this light a fuse!
 :oops:
I have edited this, this was my initial reaction. I realise that there are many of you that have different attachments to your pets, and it is not for me to judge that. I just think that some thought should be given to the animals wellfair.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 02:43:05 am by TheRindels »

Offline hadenough

• Certified Addict
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 07:20:42 am »
That's another way of looking at it, or making ourselves feel better about our decision  :confused: I have not spoken to anyone who actually did the whole process and how their pets came out of it at the other end.    :-\

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2008, 06:21:09 pm »
TheRindels we agree with you 100% - it's not fair on the animals.

Offline Badprop

• Certified Addict
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 06:42:47 am »
This is a sensitive subject.  We love our animals so much and they like children to some of us.  To take them with or not is a very personal choice.  If we got our ducks in a row earlier I would have taken my girl with.  She protected me 3 times exactly where people jumped the wall and I feel like a murderer as I need to put her out in 3 weeks time.

There are a few members who have taken their dogs over and they would be the best to say what the animals look like when they arrive on the other side.  I hope they contribute their experiences here.

I also want to compliment you guys on keeping this civil.  On other forums people jump on each other if they dare say something like this.  We don't have to agree with it, but we do allow others to speak freely.  It is a sensitive and emotional subject and it needs to be addressed as such.

I must say  NZ is getting are a good, tolerant breed of Sanners. O0
Take life with a pinch of salt ... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila

Offline hadenough

• Certified Addict
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 08:09:34 am »
Thanks cranky, I also hope some of the members who have "been there, done that" let us know what the whole proceedure was  like. My son would rather stay in SA than leave his dog behind!

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 08:09:34 am »

Offline mandyh

• Certified Addict
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 12:47:35 pm »
We also had 2 dogs when we make the decison to move to NZ.  As much as we loved them there was no way that we were prepared to keep them cooped up for all the time that was needed.  Plus the cost involved.  I personally don't believe that it's fair for any animal to be put through all that for the sake of the owners.  Please don't go hating me - my personal opinion here.
PS I cried buckets when we found their news homes for them.  Still look at their pictures and wonder how they're doing.  It's not an easy choice by any means.

greenfamily

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2008, 04:52:57 pm »
Hi, In my view I found the one post arrogant and provocotive.
No one can say for sure how the animals experience it . In fact I presume different pets may experience it differently. Easy it want be. But than it is not easy on humans- once again at various levels depending on the person and their circumstances. I even know of a person who mentally flipped as a result of emigration.

Also the role of pets vary - for some people they are their most signigficant other.
Needless to say there is an element of selfishness  but emigration to some extent is inherently selfish- but hopefully it is the satisfaction of a mutually dependent relationship.
I think costs are also a big factor and justifcation of once choice is a normal survival mechanism.

I think we should limit our discussion to listing pros and cons and refrain from value judgements - especially expressed so strongly.

Offline TheRindels

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2008, 02:45:49 am »
:oops:
I have edited my post, it was my initial reaction. Needless to say we feel strongly about it. I do realise that there are many of you that have different attachments to your pets, and it is not for us to judge that. It was not out intention to rock the boat.

We just feel that some thought should be given to the animals' welfair.

Offline TheRindels

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2008, 02:50:17 am »
Another thing to keep in mind is the temperament of your pets. In SA we generally keep animals for security reasons. In NZ they are strictly pets. You as owner are responsible for your pet in every way. You cannot have your pet fighting (with other animals, heaven forbid they go for a person), or barking all the time.

We live outside a park and people walk their dogs all the time - mostly without leashes. We have yet to see an incident where any of the dogs end up fighting. I know that our (calm) dogs in SA would have had an incident by now - and probably would have had to have been put down - or at best been locked up in our yard all the time.

greenfamily

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2008, 07:46:15 am »
But it may not be stupid-inappropriate word- for the next person. theoritically that person may have lots of money- buy a life style plot - have someone on the property all day etc may even be blind!
The facts you mention however are valid and require consideration.
We found Wellington the most pet unfriendly.
Some further observations;
They are big on anti-barking.I know of friends who had to have their dogs chords cut- it was a Kiwi dog.
They are big on rules; on leaches and designated areas and take them seriously.
Dogs are not allowed on play ground areas.
A dog bit - of a person - receives heavy courage and response.
The kiwis are although very green etc  generally not sentimental about pets.
Many folk coming from the UK and their are many are very besotted with their pets and they are very intergrated into their lifestyle so maybe things will change.

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2008, 07:46:15 am »

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2008, 11:33:10 am »
Ok my dogs fly on the 23rd of Jan so I will let you know of their journey once they have arrived. I have previously taken dogs to the USA beofre and they did not suffer during the long flight or rental acommodation or coming back to SA a few months later.  We also consulted with a couple of vets about the quarantine and flights and they reassured us.

We managed to find a stunning 4 bed house, brand new where the owner was happy to allow the dogs and will put up fencing on the sides once they arrive from quarantine.  The first agent we went to for rentals had three houses to show us straight away that would allow dogs.
Most of the parks and the lake in Cambridge are dog friendly and I always see a dog or two at the coffee shop in the main road. 

It is a lot of money but it is our personal choice and what is right for our family. :)

greenfamily

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2008, 12:12:19 pm »
Hi MJ,
Good luck with their trip and quara and please let us know how they fare.

Offline hadenough

• Certified Addict
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2008, 01:37:23 pm »
 :gl: MJ! Hope all goes well.  Nice to hear some positive things!  O0 Please keep us posted here about how they do.  What type of dogs are they?