Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: pets left behind  (Read 3929 times)

Offline Hennie

pets left behind
« on: March 26, 2008, 03:33:46 pm »
Hello everyone
Just want to know if any of you guys know where I can find work to do with pets/animals
I will be leaving my pets behind in sa 8 cats (all rescued) and 1 Roti :(
Have placed pets for 10 years for pet owners leaving the country .. now I am having to do the same and need to work with animals/pets - have also been a vet nurse once
Appreciate the advice/help

Offline Cathrine

Re: pets left behind
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 03:38:12 pm »
Hi Hennie

Just wishing you all of the best. Won;t believe, but my biggest reason for not attempting this earlier were my two dogs  :( Have however decided to get them over as soon as we are settled. Only started the process now and all very overwhelming, but have come to realize a lot of people with the same concerns have survived the BIG MOVE.

Good luck

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 03:38:12 pm »

Offline Hennie

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 04:57:08 pm »
Hello Cathrine
Lyn here, (other half of Hennie )thanks for the good luck wishes and the same to you
Where are you based??
Everything is as you say, very overwhelming
Pets are my passion and leaving them is tearing me up inside but I have to be brave and face up to it to be able to move on....
We will also be leaving elderly parents (they have encouraged us to get out though)
Our grown up children will follow once we are accepted
Do you have children??

Offline Doreen

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 05:16:40 pm »
Hi Lyn!
I also have 4 dogs...The one was 15 years old, so I take him to the vet for a one way ticket to heaven :-\ The other dog is 12 years. She will stay by my mother. The dog that choose us and not us him- I find  him new owners. And then my baby- a foxterier/doberman of 26 kg immigrate with us. I've done all her papers just wait for the permit. She must also stay with my mom till she can go to Karinga Kennels who will also help with the flight.

It is also difficult for me to leave my parents behind. My mother try to show not her sorrow, but I can see it is very difficult for her. To immigrate is not easy, but I'm sure worth it!! Sterkte!! I also do it for my children, they are 17 and 14, they can't wait to go!!

Offline Hennie

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 05:22:42 pm »
Hi Doreen
Thanks for the support, I can really do with it :) At what stage of the immigration process are you at??
It is all very alarming but with this great team on board we will all get there - good luck everyone :gl:
Lyn

tandl

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 08:45:33 pm »
Hi Hennie!!!

I had 2 rotties and 3 cats!! They were like SUCH children to us and its very hard to say goodbye but they are with SUCH good new parents that it really has eased the blow a lot.  And we have visitation rights while we are still in SA :) (We moved out of our house and werent allowed to have pets where we are now)

It will get better.  We are already looking SO forward to getting children again when we are in NZ.  Its so strange not having something to love  :'(

Offline Cathrine

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 06:57:35 am »
Hi Lyn

We're in Cape Town and have also just put the house on the market and resigned from our jobs !!!! Yes, we have two daughters, aged 13 &9 and they are also our main reason for moving. Do not want to be left behind at old age when they go off seeking greener pastures. My two other "children" are a Jack Russel and a "wanna be" german shephard. Never realized it so so TERRIBLY expensive to move them over, but worst case, we will have to take them one at a time. All of the best! Chat soon. :)

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 06:57:35 am »

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 09:56:04 am »
Hi lyn
We met in Durbs when I came to you to place my 2 daxies but we ended up taking them with.
They are now half way through their "sentence" but we are still really glad we did take them.
Great to see you have decided to go forward with NZ.

Michelle :)

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 10:05:24 am »
I left lots of animals behind and it was really hard :'(

Now I have a new small zoo and they keep me very busy ::)

Offline Louise Marais

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 02:05:34 pm »
Our pets were also a concern to us.  We had a Husky and 2 cats (1,  a Persian, the other her daughter from an affair with the neighbours cat).  We found the most amazing home for the Husky (also with visiting rights until we leave).  She is now a beachbum in Noordhoek.  The cats are still with me - can't quite let go yet!!  I need to find them the perfect home soon.  We did enquire to take them all with us (who can choose), but for all 3, including quarantine was R 110 000.!!!  and I know the mommy Persian would not have made it!!  It is sooooo sad.  It makes me feel like a traitor!

Offline janvs

• Arrived !
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 03:59:38 pm »
Hi !

My wife took our 7 year old cat to the VET

Rest in peace snowbell  :'(
EOI drawn on 04/06/2008
ITA received 26/06/08
Completed ITA submitted 20/08/08
Received PR 25/11/08
Received passports with PR 21/01/09

[/u

Offline Doreen

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 05:09:28 pm »
Hi 'Lynn!
We just wait for our visas and then we are on our way. My hubby's supposed to start 1 April working but we are not going to make it!! I try now to enjoy my "sold" house, my family, my friends and S.A, before we leave.  :gl:

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 05:09:28 pm »

Offline janvs

• Arrived !
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 02:18:08 pm »
Hi 'Lynn!
We just wait for our visas and then we are on our way. My hubby's supposed to start 1 April working but we are not going to make it!! I try now to enjoy my "sold" house, my family, my friends and S.A, before we leave.  :gl:

We are in the same boat Doreen
We are also just waiting for our Visas
I think the long weekend have something to do with it.
Monday I'll be phoning them (again)

EOI drawn on 04/06/2008
ITA received 26/06/08
Completed ITA submitted 20/08/08
Received PR 25/11/08
Received passports with PR 21/01/09

[/u

Offline hadenough

• Certified Addict
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 02:56:00 pm »
Nearly there jan  O0