Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Cost of Taking My Beloved Border Collie X  (Read 3349 times)

Offline Gorecki

Cost of Taking My Beloved Border Collie X
« on: August 19, 2008, 07:53:02 am »
Hi all,

Just thought I would let you all know that the average cost for taking a medium sized dog to New Zealand is about R60 000.  This includes everything, right from the start of the 7 month pre-immigration procedure......so that means micro-chip, vaccinations, vet fees, boarding & flights, quarantine fees, government fees, etc.

I am using Keringa Kennels on the SA side, and I am currently still deciding between the 2 quarantine stations in Auckland.

:2funny:

Offline soniag

Re: Cost of Taking My Beloved Border Collie X
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 08:28:25 am »
Jip klink omtrent reg vir my....  Heeltemal te veel vir ons budget....dink net wat jy alles met daardie geld in NZ kan maak...  Maar as 'n mens so lief is vir jou hond, en jy kan dit bekostig sal ek dit ook gedoen het.  Ek het ook laas by Keringa pryse gekry, en hulle klink vir my is omtrent die beste om te gebruik. O0
You cannot control what life brings your way. But what you do with it is up to you.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 08:28:25 am »

Offline leeannvh

• If its to be, its up to me
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 09:45:44 am »
Just keep in mind that they might hold your dog in quarantine for longer here in NZ if they pick up any viruses such as parvo etc. and then more costs of course

My daughter is absolutely heart-broken today.
As I sit here typing this she is walking her beloved companion Jessie (pedigreed German Shephard) on the Scottburgh beachfront for the last time ever. Theyve been together for a year, do obedience training together, go to obedience shows, are really inseperable! My parents say that she wont stop sobbing!! I really feel for her

There is alot of stress involved as well...I just think 6 months in quarantine = 3.5 years in a dogs life

Offline Awa

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 07:11:41 pm »
We left our two dogs behind (in a good home of course), because the cost was too great and we thought the 7 month period in quarantine would be too much for them.   My son still cries for his dogs.   He misses them terribly especially since he is still in the process of making friends at school.    :'(
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 03:39:50 am »
The quarantine period is only 4 months.  You have to start the tests 6 months before.

Offline Alta van zyl

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 08:57:42 am »
The quarantine period in nz is 4 months not sure how long they have to be in quarantine in SA before they are flown.  Doreen will know as her dog is coming out end of Nov and has arrived in Auckland in July. 

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 04:49:53 am »
Mine also came through fine and the exact same dogs they were before.   :clap:
Mine also unfortunately had to spend three months in kennels in JHB before leaving for NZ as we made an error with the timing of the rabies tests and please bear in mind that Onderstpoort closes for the whole of December so no tests can be done then.  This was however notquarantine but expensive and heartbreaking all the same.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 04:49:53 am »

Offline Doreen

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 09:45:00 pm »

Kila looks fine to me and all herself. I drove 10 000km in this 4 months....it was a very emotional thing...but I believe everyone experience it differently. But I don't regret it - to bring her with us. I also don't want this time ever over again!! :'( There's 10 days left...then she can come home!!)

Ek kan regtig Qualified Pets aanbeveel. Is baie tevrede met hulle. Die kans dat jou hond langer sal moet bly is regtig klein. Die langste wat hulle langer sal bly behoord nie meer as 'n week te wees nie. Die MAF kom 'n dag voor hulle kan uitkom en neem hulle temperatuur. As dit in lyn is dan kan jou hond gaan. Die eienaar van die quarantine het vir my gese partykeer is die hond 'n bietjie opgewonde en dan is haar temperatuur te hoog. Maar dan neem hy dit self die volgende dag en bel net in as haar temperatuur dan reg is. In die 4 maande wat ons daar is weet ek van geen hond wat a.g.v een of ander bug langer moes bly nie. Ek weet wel van 2 honde wat 'n week later uitgekom het omrede die MAF die datums verkeerd gehad het...

Lea

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 07:32:06 am »
Just a little note on this matter - the majority of rental homes (I would say around 95% - 98% of all rental homes do not allow dogs and a small number might allow a cat), but most of the time you will find that landlords do not allow pets at all.  Just keep this in mind if you consider bringing your pets along. 

Offline Alta van zyl

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 10:16:19 am »
Dogs are a problem, but cats seem to be fine.  When we were renting last year I phoned them and asked if we can get a cat, she was really surprised and said we do not need permission for cats.  Our rental was done through Quinovac, not sure what the other agents view is on this. 

Offline Durbschick1

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 09:25:54 pm »
For now I'm actually glad we are not allowed pets in our rental, one less thing for the kids to fight about.... Was wondering, trying hard to get my Mom to join us, do any of you think they will allow her to bring her African Grey Parrot...? I don't think they will....  :'(