Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Pixie, Elfie and Franklin are moving to NZ!  (Read 2658 times)

Offline Adele2310

Pixie, Elfie and Franklin are moving to NZ!
« on: July 30, 2010, 08:50:44 pm »
Hello everyone,

I've been looking through the bringing the pets forum and thought I'd post here about my pets and what I am doing to get them to NZ. 

First an introduction:

Franklin is a Pug/Boston Terrier Mix and you can check out his blog at www.franklinsdiary.com

Pixie is my grey tortie cat who rules my house but is the sweetest thing.  She has a post introducing herself on Franklin's Blog which you can find at http://franklinsdiary.com/?p=38

Elfie is the baby of my family.  He is a little(well not so little anymore) tuxedo boy with a little black mark on his chin and a crazy personality.  You can check his post out at http://franklinsdiary.com/?p=35

Now that you know my babies let me tell you where I am in the process.

All the pets have had their rabies vacine and their micro chips inserted.  Franklin had a microchip already that came with him from the rescue organization but it was of the wrong type so I had to get him another one.  Pixie got the rabies vaccine before she got her microchip so I had to email the MAF and get permission for both Franklin and Pixie to get their official microchips AFTER their rabies shot.  They all went for the rabies titre testing on the 5 July 2010 and I’m still waiting for the results.  Once the results come back I’ll be applying for their permit.

They will be in quarantine for just 30 days because they are coming from the USA.  SA is 4 months I believe

I’ll keep you posted.

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
Re: Pixie, Elfie and Franklin are moving to NZ!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 01:39:30 am »
Hi Adele! yes - we went through 6 months quarantine in SA - and one month here in Australia...7 months all in all! Just awful - so you are very lucky indeed that your furry kids only have to do one month.... :clap: So the rabies shots are done and the micro chipping - that's great!

What I do find a little worrying at the moment looking at rentals in NZ is that we are finding it a bit of a problem finding a 'pet friendly' one. Just like here in OZ they are far and few in between.....Your babies sound and look so cute....I hope it all goes well for your family!! Good luck with the process!!

Kiwiwannabe
~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 01:39:30 am »

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 05:38:28 pm »
How I wish I could bring my babies with  :'( but they are better off on this side with the grandparents  :'(

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 06:05:24 am »

frodo/maya......You are still so very lucky to have your family take care of them - you can have COMPLETE peace of mind....... :hug: And I am sure your babies will get spoiled rotten... :clap:

Kiwiwannabe
~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 06:17:59 am »
Thanks Kiwiwannabe   :-* - I know they will be spoiled, just a pitty I can't do the spoiling

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 12:19:40 pm »
I can't even TALK about this makes me  :'(
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline Adele2310

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 04:01:24 pm »
Just wanted to give everyone an update...All 3 animals passed the first titre test so now I'm on to the second step which is choose the facility in Auckland...I'm leaning towards Qualified Pet Services...and then I have to apply for the permit.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 04:01:24 pm »

Offline Adele2310

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 09:19:59 pm »
Here is the current status:

Booked the furry children in at Qualified Pet Services in Auckland.  Love the guy who works there and talks about my furry children like they are his.

I had to have the rabies titre tests endorsed by the USDA(United States Department of Agriculture) and nearly fell off my chair when they told me it would cost $114/animal.  Thats $342 for all 3!  What a rip off!  Anyway got that done.

Sent in my application for Permit to Import Pets and I once again nearly fell off my chair when I get a response from a person from MAF telling me that my applicaiton had been recieved and that it would be processed in about 10 business days.

Ja Nee!

Below ifs a link to show you Franklin getting ready for his big trip to New Zealand.  I haven't been able to post about it yet because it will only be announced at work in December!  Enjoy

http://franklinsdiary.com/?p=233

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 07:11:23 pm »
Adele my 2 sausage dogs went to Qualified Pets and they were great there, I was very happy with the service I recieved.

Offline Adele2310

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 07:47:40 pm »
Thanks - always good to hear that.  My friend recently had her dog there for 4 months and was very happy.  I would love to arrange a dog walk for all of our furry friends!!!

Offline Adele2310

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 06:41:00 pm »
So and update about the pets.  Got my Import Permit today via email and I continue to be astounded by the personal touch these guys use.  I'm just not used to it from a government deparment!