Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Decided to give my beautiful cat up for adoption...and he is happy!  (Read 1922 times)

Offline AngelineC

• Little kiwi on the way...woohooooo
I know that the discussion of pets is a hot-topic in every household when faced with emigration. So, here is my experience and it may help someone :)

I have the most amazing pets...particularly by gorgeous cat, who has never scratched my little kids, who LOVES us and we adore him too! So what to do when we move?

Take him? Number one, it costs a lot, which I was willing to pay...but...a long flight where he would be terrified, not cool! Quarantine, also not necessarily cool for him because he gets lonely! When we get the, what if the house we want doesn't allow animals? So...what are our other options?

Thought long and hard about finding him a new home so I sent it out there, through facebook and my colleagues and a colleague came to me asking about him: she was looking to go get a cat from SPCA but would love to take our boy and she has kids etc so he would be a happy cat in her home!

I was still unsure...I love him...he loves me...what next?

Two months later I had to decide, so I invited my colleague around to my house with her kids...and my little Merlot went and sat next to her on our couch. I realised at that moment, that he would adapt!

So, after two months of preparing myself and spending lots of special time with my boy, the day arrived and I didn't even tell my small kids, and off we went to my colleague's house. From the minute he jumped out his carrier, and went around her house sniffing and lying on the couch, I slipped out the house and knew whole-heartedly that I made the right decision for him...and maybe for me too :)

It has been two weeks and I have learnt more about cats in this time...because he has completely adapted to his new home...talks to them, loves them, plays with them...hahahaha...seemingly completely forgotten me!!! :D which is actually perfect...because all I want is for him to be happy! And he is thriving!

Our dogs have been living with my parents for a while and our other cat has always been more of my mom's...but Merlot, he was my BOY! And he is happy...I couldn't be more blessed seeing the pics of him in his new home :)

So, here is a happy-ending story to one of the toughest decisions we have all had to make :)
Good luck with yours xxxxx lots of love as always xxx
THIS journey is worth every bit of blood and tears...

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
Re: Decided to give my beautiful cat up for adoption...and he is happy!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 11:59:28 pm »
So pleased to hear that your cat has settled in so well. 

We also rehomed our two cats, my girls.  1 was always more cautious of people and strangers, the other was very friendly.  The day we had to give them to their new home the friendlier one was hiding away and the cautious one was around me all the time.  Broke my heart that I never got to see how they had settled in.  We did hear that the cats had settled well and were happy, thats 6 years ago now.  Although I have two new cats here, 2 boys, I still miss my girls - Patch and Squeaky (her meow sounded Squeaky).

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 11:59:28 pm »

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 07:59:12 am »
I will never get over giving my pets up when we left...and they all went to loving, amazing homes and I'm still in contact with both families who took the cats and dogs.  Killed me.
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline minette

• Life is life - lala la lalaa
    • Herbalicious - Minette's Herbs & Herbals
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 08:18:14 am »
We also had pets that needed a plan when we started thinking of moving to NZ. Long ago when we started the whole campaign, we were very convinced that we'd be taking all our pets - two Jack Russels and two cats... I was on the ball and on the forefront of any and all news regarding pet moving services, quarantine processes (back then it was still a couple of months!) and everything else regarding veterinary requirements and such.

But now, four years later, when we finally got our house sold and started in earnest to rework our plan to move, I realized that the cats were too old (they are already 12 years old) and the shock and discomfort of such a big move would be too much for them. I agonized for many months to make a plan and find a suitable home when my parents agreed to take them in - cannot tell you how happy I was! At the same time we gave the relocation of our dogs some serious thought and when my parents suggested they take them over too, it all just made sense. Although they're not quite there, they are fast approaching the no-fly age with my boy doggy turning 10 in 2013. In the end  it was only fair on them (and it of course helps with costs for us) not to take them. Having a smallholding as their new home, my pets are as happy as can be and have settled in very nicely.... so much so that they barely look in my direction when I go for a visit!

It is a very hard decision to make though. If my parents did not step up to take in my furry babies, I would not have so easily rehomed them... Luckily for us it worked out very nicely.

Good luck to all pet owners with your decisions!
Residency approved: 05/07/13
Work Visa approved: 06/05/13
ITA Received: 6 May 2013
EOI Selected: 03/05/13
EOI Submitted: 01/05/13
Applied for Work Visa: 26/04/13
Medicals: 24/04/13
Job offer: 12/04/13
Landed in Auckland: 05/02/13
House sold: 01/11/11
Decision to move to NZ: 08/12/08

Offline AngelineC

• Little kiwi on the way...woohooooo
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 03:16:35 pm »
Agreed ladies...the hardest thing we have done yet!
Glad that they are in happy homes...it makes all the difference. We cannot wait to get new pets when we have settled...even though they never replace the ones we had to rehome :) love the squeeky meaow, I can hear her :)

:gl: xxxxx
THIS journey is worth every bit of blood and tears...