Offline stella.mike

Pets
« on: December 07, 2007, 05:57:20 pm »
What did you do with your pets if you don't take them along :confused:

Offline Possum

Re: Pets
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 09:13:22 pm »
Eish - HI Stella

Yeah thats a tough question. And I think about it all the time to be honest.... we have 5 dogs and a bird.... if my husbands favorite is still alive (he has a heart condition i am told) when we eventually get out of SA he will be relocating with us....  and my fav dog, will come with if we have the extra money to take him. if Not hopefully we will be able to leave our 2 labrodors with the people who buy our house, and the other 3 we woudl find homes for. And worse case we will buy them a one way ticket to.... heaven!!  :'(

To be honest I am not 100% happy taking the dogs with - I just think its more to stress about, finding a house to rent that allows dogs!!

Cheers - all the best though!!

Tracy

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 09:13:22 pm »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 10:06:52 pm »
Our doggie is going to my parents, who I know will take good care of him :clap:

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 05:26:18 am »
We are leaving the house with all 3 dogs for my Mom to take care of. Mom lives with us at present and we thought of getting her a flat that would be easier for her to manage and selling the house. We would then have had to have the doggies put down but luckily Mom said no ways! we figured it was not fair on the doggies to take them with given the long quarentine periods especially as 2 of them are highly strung anyway. We would get zombies at the other end of the journey and not the loving friends we now have.
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!

Offline Badprop

• Certified Addict
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 06:21:07 am »
Stella if you consider to take them with do the blood tests as soon as poss.  Don't make the mistake I did and wait too long, now we are stuck with the worst decision of putting them out.  Make that decision now, don't wait.
Take life with a pinch of salt ... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 07:26:00 am »
I agree.  At least do the first stuff necessary, in case you should change your mind... i.e. get the rabies shot, and blood tests done, and chip inserted.  This would be a plus if you do decide to sell them/give them to others too.

But it is a hard decision to make.  We first decided no, and then suddenly, a few months down the line said yes, and I had to go get the shots and all.  Then right at the end, because Misty wouldn't be able to fly with us to NZ, and would have to spend 6 months waiting with foster parents in the States, we decided it wasn't fair on her.  If we had done the rabies shots and blood tests in January, she could have flown with us.

In the end, the last week before we left, dear friends of ours offered to take her, and drove 3 hours to meet us half way and take our kitty.  I was glad it was raining, because my face was wet with tears.  But I know it was best for Misty who will be 13 yrs old next week.  She is happy out on the farm now.
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline ks11

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 09:08:12 am »
We decided to bring our cat with us.  He finally comes home on the 13 dec! Its been a long time and he has put on a little weight, but definately money well spent (if you ask me). There was no choice, we werent going to put him down and there were no close friends who could take him.  He is part of our family and was around before the kids.  I know it is a tough decision to make and it also depends on personal circumstances and if you have the little extra to spend.

My heart goes out to those families that cant bring their loved animals.

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 09:08:12 am »

greenfamily

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 02:48:03 pm »
Ja, it remains hard which ever route you follow.
We are taking our dog but the process is daunting.
It is such a pity we can not ask her what her choice would be if she could communicate it to us.
we know we love her and need her - I hope she will agree.
Good luck .

Offline Possum

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 09:23:04 pm »
Regarding quarenteen tho - my sister bought her dogs in Hong Kong when they lived there, they have been back in SA for 7 years now.. but anywhay they brought back 2 dogs and my sister was so worried about them not getting fed etc... BUT when we fetched them they were SO fat and healthy~~~~~

Offline ks11

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 09:31:03 am »
I fetched Marmelade from Quarantine yesterday and he deffinately needs to go on a diet! But then the animals are at a proper cattery or boarding facility not a warehouse in some government building.  Time goes by very quickly and now that the 120 days quarantine is over its great, the kids are happy they have their pet back at home with them.  Im glad we brought our family pet with us, but we were lucky we could afford to. My heart goes to those who cant.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 10:34:23 am »
and how has Marmelade coped KS?

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 11:04:47 am »
KS where was Marmalade? My dogs are going to Qualified Pet Services.

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 11:04:47 am »

Offline Shaz

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 11:16:56 am »
I am glad Marmalade is home!

We are in the same boat... should they go or stay!?

Offline Zinzan55

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 06:19:18 am »
We have four, we can scrape and take 1. It is heart-breaking; we also don't have immediate friends who can take them. Our cats are good breeds and I took my Abbyssian to her new home last night. KILLER!!! But you just have to try and focus. Nervutron 1 will help you cope here. Avail at pharmacies.
As for finding homes, my suggestion to you and what we are doing with our second cat (if you are in SA) is to contact Pet Placements. They screen people to adopt your pets so that they are put into the same enviroment as what you have had them in. This may take time since there are soOOoo many people emigrating however, people do phone them when they are looking for pets and these ladies are very much animals lovers and you can have peace of mind. Contact Lynn on 031-701-6999.
If you have special breeds, always speak to your breeder who you originally bought your pet from as they are often very helpful in placing their off-spring.
Good luck. I am off to buy lotto tickets again today so that I can take my pets with if I win!

Offline Doreen

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 12:00:24 pm »
Hi
I want to take my doggy along, but as I read all your stuff it seems I don't know everything...
I understand you take your dog to quarantine ( there is a place in Kempton Park) They stay there for 3 months and then they must stay one month in NZ? Is there any other ways you can do it? Because I see you talk about bloodtests and that the dogs can go with you?

I also think it will be more a hazzle to find a home where the dogs is allowed, but there is no way that I will leave my baby behind... I also wish I could ask her what she wants and explain to her that you call this immigration and will be over quick. They get so fat of too little exercise. I also understand it is better to leave them in quarantine here in S.A as long as possible?