« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2008, 06:46:48 pm »
glad you got homes for the other two O0

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
Re: Pets
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2008, 03:56:16 am »
BTW, we gave the kittens away and just kept the mama kitty.  She is now very relaxed and loving and loves to "talk".  But just today I was stroking her and looking at her, and just realised that she simply is and never will be a true substitute for the cat we left behind.  Misty was with us for 13 years!  And she had such a different character!  I cried again.  It's hard when one's pets have become like one's kids.  :'(
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2008, 03:56:16 am »

Offline stella.mike

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2008, 07:34:20 am »
It is terrible to think that I have to leave my"other children" behind.  Yesterday I realised that I haven't seen one of my kats for a day or two and I was starting to get worried.  So in the afternoon  potential clients came  to view our house and when they came in, they told that there's a cat crying terrible in our tool shed.  So she went in there when my son was there the day before and he locked her inside without realising it.  I felt so bad she was so hungry.  She never left the house since.  I felt like a very bad parent :'( :'(

Offline hadenough

• Certified Addict
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2008, 10:31:29 am »
Oh dear Stella.Mike, I feel sorry for you because I know how bad you must feel!  But on the positive side, our animals give us unconditional love and are very forgiving  O0

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2008, 04:20:31 am »
Stella.Mike, you have my full understanding.  I was left with a difficult decision: do I find a new home for my two cats (6 years old) or do I have them put down.  Thankfully a friend of ours from Springs new someone who had two cats and one ran away, well she was only too happy to take both my 'kids' and give them a good home.  I still miss them and get very  :'( when I think of them.
My heart goes out to you!

Offline Amber

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2008, 07:47:53 am »
This is a very touchy subject for me - I have a ten year old Ridgeback who is blind and a little pavement special who is very anit-social - who would ever want them?  My son and I sit and cry at the thought of sending them to Jesus but the older one would never survive the journey and the other one would end up and someone said previously a "zombie"  the hard facts of the matter is at the end of the day we are going to have to put them to sleep.
Amber
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe

Offline Trac

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2008, 04:31:01 pm »
We have two dogs and two cats YIKES!! The expense but I dont have the heart to tell my girls we might not be able to afford to bring them over...What it will cost about R100,000.00.....I am truly gutted.. :'(

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2008, 04:31:01 pm »

Offline minette

• Life is life - lala la lalaa
    • Herbalicious - Minette's Herbs & Herbals
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2008, 08:53:35 pm »
Trac, we've worked on a budget so far for our four animals (two Jack Russels and two cats) of just under R100 000 - a hefty sum indeed, but that covers everything from the vet stuff you have to do beforehand, to the flight and the kennelling at quarantine that side.

They are the main reason we won't go do a look-see-decide (LSD) holiday first - we're gonna need the money to move the pets over when we go, so we'll just take the plunge and land in NZ to stay without having had a first-hand look about prior.

I also understand that I'll probably make a load of other monetary sacrifices in the first year or so just because I wanted to bring my pets over, but I'm willing to do it still (brave to say, I know! Reality will come and bite me still, I'm sure!).

Residency approved: 05/07/13
Work Visa approved: 06/05/13
ITA Received: 6 May 2013
EOI Selected: 03/05/13
EOI Submitted: 01/05/13
Applied for Work Visa: 26/04/13
Medicals: 24/04/13
Job offer: 12/04/13
Landed in Auckland: 05/02/13
House sold: 01/11/11
Decision to move to NZ: 08/12/08

tandl

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2008, 08:08:17 pm »
Trac, we had to do the exact same thing and it was very hard to do. BUT we are doing fine and we get regular updates on how our children are doing and they are adjusting SO well! We are still in SA at the moment but all our pets went to their new homes in September last year when we sold the house.  I think it helps that we dont live in the same place anymore so that we dont have memories of them where we live now.

I know its hard and you will never be able to replace the personalities but they will be fine, and so will you and your girls.

Offline Shaz

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2008, 08:32:18 pm »
Our dogs and cat are staying with my mom until April and then are moving in with friends of ours. They also have a little boy the same age as Harry and will really look after them but everytime i think of it i feel i am leaving part of my family behind!  :'( I know it is best for them but i still feel really rotten.

Offline ks11

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2008, 08:47:41 am »
Luckily we only had the one cat which we bought over, he is doing fine after the quarantine, settled in straight away.  Everybody thinks i am crazy for bringing Marmelade (he is a ginger cat) over. Luckily we could spare a little extra cash.  The 4 months go by quickly we went to visit him every 2 weeks.

I am glad we were in a position to bring our beloved pet. Im not sure how i would handle sending them up to the stars.  :'( My heart goes out to all of you in that situation.

Offline minette

• Life is life - lala la lalaa
    • Herbalicious - Minette's Herbs & Herbals
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2008, 12:49:56 pm »
ks11, glad to hear your kitty cat is at home with you and settled in nicely. Why don't you share your experiences with getting him there? And also which quarantine facility you used and how you found it? I think a lot of people are very anxious to send their animals over and some information from someone that has done it will defnitely not go amiss.

thanks!
Residency approved: 05/07/13
Work Visa approved: 06/05/13
ITA Received: 6 May 2013
EOI Selected: 03/05/13
EOI Submitted: 01/05/13
Applied for Work Visa: 26/04/13
Medicals: 24/04/13
Job offer: 12/04/13
Landed in Auckland: 05/02/13
House sold: 01/11/11
Decision to move to NZ: 08/12/08

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2008, 12:49:56 pm »

Offline ks11

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2008, 03:30:32 am »
We used Keringa in Kempton Park. they were great, we took marmelade to them 1 month before he was allowed to leave so he could have all the tests on the exact days. he would have stayed at home for that but i was here already and hubby was out here visiting so he was in the boarding kennels for a month SA side.  I applied for the import permit during the month that he was at Keringa.  I asked for permission from MAF to allow a fax copy of the permit but surprisingly the permit arrived in SA through the mail in record time! Marmelade was kept in quarantine at Qualified Pet Services for 120 days.  They were very nice and i would recommend them. if you have more than one cat you can house them together in a bigger 'cage' or even if you have a small dog and a cat they can be housed together.  They collected Marmelade from the Airport after hours, they call you when they are sick and you also get to keep the crate that they are flown in.  Visiting hours are from 11.30am to 1.30pm every day except public holidays. there is a vet on site.  Marmelades cage was always clean and tidy, he always had fresh water and food. his littr box was always clean.  you are allowed to take treats aswell.

The flight was just over R4000, quarantine plus maf charges and vet charges was $3600, and i cant remember Keringa price for the month marmelade was there. will ask hubby if he can remember.

timing needs to be planned, before you can apply for the permit you have to have confirmation from the quarantine station that they have space and they give you a letter which has to go to MAF.  you can fax, email, post to MAF. doesnt have to be originals.

Make sure your animal is microchipped when you start the 6 month procedure in SA.

Marmelade got out of the house the second night he was home. he wouldnt let me bring him inside. ( im not surprised since he hadnt been on grass for 5 months) so he ended up sleeping outside for the night. when i woke up he was in a standoff with the neighbours cat but hadnt gone missing which was a huge relief.

Hope that helps.

Offline hadenough

• Certified Addict
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2008, 08:17:53 am »
 O0 Thanks ks

Offline Trac

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2008, 07:02:58 am »
thanks all for your help and advise!! what a hard decision to make..it all depends on what we get for our house as to what we do with our animals we are putting the 100 grand extra on the price to  cover the costs to get them over!! the 100 grand is that EVERYTHING from start to finish no extras that side... :eek: