South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Pets  (Read 16287 times)

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
Re: Pets
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 12:25:25 pm »
Doreen, the quarantine is in NZ.  Coming from South Africa, it's 6 months the dogs have to be in quarantine, not one.  On the SA side, you need to get your dog vaccinated and do blood tests, and get a chip implanted 6 months before flying, then another batch in the last month before flying.  Their carrying cage gets sealed and on the NZ side, only the kennels that are taking the pet into quarantine are allowed to handle the pet.  There are a few places in Auckland that are approved quarantine kennels.  You may visit your pet while it's in quarantine.  IT's quite expensive I believe, apart from the paperwork, and vaccinations on the SA side, the board and lodging while in quarantine on the NZ side runs around $1000 a month (or have I got that totally wrong?).
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Doreen

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 04:24:09 pm »
Hi zatexnz
The place I talked about in Kempton Park is Keringa International. They help you to get your dogs there. When we thought we go to Australie they qote us more or less R40 000 for the 2 dogs I asked them for a quatation to NZ and information. I will let you know!!! It is the first time I hear it is 6 months. I understand from a imigration company its just 4 months for NZ and 7 months for Australie. I'll have to find evertything out!!

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 04:24:09 pm »

Offline Badprop

• Certified Addict
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2007, 04:26:28 pm »
Doreen, 6 months before they fly you must get the chip and blood works done at the vet but they stay at your house.  One month before they fly you take them to Karinga where they do all the tests and blood work necessary.  Then they in quarantine in NZ for 3 months where you can visit and walk them.

It is expensive and I got quotes from Karinga and Pet Heaven in NZ.  Works out to R46 000 for one medium size dog.  Onderstepoort is closed for Christmas so the tests can only be done from January. 
Take life with a pinch of salt ... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila

Offline Doreen

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2007, 05:39:14 pm »
Thanx Cranky
Then I must accept that I can take just one dog :tickedoff: Think I must go to the vet next week... Where is Pet Heaven in NZ? Am I suppose to arrange accomodation with them? Karinga is not going to do that?

Are you taking your pet/s? Wonder how I ' :om going to tell my daughter we can just take one of our 4 dogs.... :confused:

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2007, 07:39:19 pm »
Thanks Cranky for helping me right!  O0  Having not done it myself, my info was a bit off!  :blush:

Doreen it really is so hard to leave the pets behind.  They become so part of the family.  We had to leave our kitty behind, and now we've adopted cats on this end, but it's just not the same.  And the kittens have gotten pretty mad, because they tore into all the lace curtains (before we could stop them), and suddenly started peeing on the beds the past two weeks, if we don't catch them to get them to the cat litter or outside.  They did this on our down duvet!  So hubby has said I have to find a new home for the kittens and only keep the mother cat.  I wish I could just go back to Texas and fetch my other kitty.  :'(
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline ks11

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 12:58:18 am »
Hi Guys,
Marlmelade was at Qualified Pet Services.  I didnt see what the doggie section looked like, but the staff are very friendly and Marmelade was looked after well. No complaints!  He is very happy to be home still adjusting to the new environment and is glad to see some grass.  He managed to get out the house on Friday night and He wouldnt let me bring him back inside. so he spent the night outside the second night he was home.  Luckily he came back and now he wont go further than the front step.

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 08:01:22 am »
Thanks KS I will go see qualified next week to check it out although they are going there regardless.
Doreen the quarantine in NZ is 120 days so 4 months and not 3 months.  you have to make the booking with the quarantine centre and fill out forms for them then they work with Keringa or whoever you use to sort out the export/import permits, tests etc.  Mine are at Keringa in Kempton now.  The cost for my two min daschunds is $10 000 for the 4 months (for both) but that is just the NZ part.  The kennels that Cranky is talking about is Pets Haven. O0

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 08:01:22 am »

Offline Doreen

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 08:51:44 am »
Thanks guys!!
If I make  sums, it will be here around R100 000 if I want to take 2 dogs. I can just afford one...R100 000 can be a deposit on our new house...

Zatexnz it sounds like chaos there with all the kittens, shame. It's a pitty they are so naughty,  instead of being gratefull for your hospitality!! Thanks for telling me!! As I said, my baby must come along. It is only me feeling this way in this family, my son told me he is not going to pick up poo...My husband told me it is just more problems to get a house with a fence...And my daughter said if they cant go both then none go...

Offline Doreen

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2007, 09:06:12 am »
O ja! Zantexnz, I remember now, friends of us in Perth have the same problem with their cat. He suddenly pee on evertything after they have moved. And he looked quite mad. The vet gave them a bottle of liquid that they must plug in. (It's like that mosquito things) You could not smell anything, but he said it gives cat hormones free in the air. It helped to stop the cat pee...Just a shame their whole house already smelled... And it is very expensive medicine. It is all about they feel unsure in their envirement. Maybe your cats have the same problem.

Offline minette

• Life is life - lala la lalaa
    • Herbalicious - Minette's Herbs & Herbals
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 10:15:33 pm »
Got a quote today from Keringa for kenneling for the 30 days prior to departure for two Jack Russels and two domestic short haired cats - will be R 22,742.58

The flight from Johannesburg to Auckland for the animals is approximated at about R16000 from Pet Wings (associated company to Keringa)

I confirmed that you need not do the 30 days prior to departure kenneling thing, it is just a service they offer - don't think I'll use it as it would save me an extra heap of money I can put toward the NZ quarantine.

I'll be very happy if I can take all my animals with - my baby girl just LOVES her animals and so do I... but the prices given for the quarantine is quite scary...

(sorry, I'm still going to introduce myself on the forum, just been reading through so long and had to comment on this as I've just done some of the calculations and e-mails today)
Residency approved: 05/07/13
Work Visa approved: 06/05/13
ITA Received: 6 May 2013
EOI Selected: 03/05/13
EOI Submitted: 01/05/13
Applied for Work Visa: 26/04/13
Medicals: 24/04/13
Job offer: 12/04/13
Landed in Auckland: 05/02/13
House sold: 01/11/11
Decision to move to NZ: 08/12/08

Offline Shaz

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 10:22:25 pm »
Welcome to the family!! Do tell us some more about yourself!

Offline Ratmantoo

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2008, 02:04:40 pm »
Oh boy! Scary prices for sure! and I have 4 dogs and 4 cats.

My wife is sure not going to be happy. All the "pets" are her children so its going to be really difficult to give them up but we need to be realistic about this, i suppose. Really difficult.

Thanks for the info guys!!

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2008, 02:04:40 pm »

tandl

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2008, 02:46:19 pm »
Hi there

I had to give up all 5 of my "children" and I tell you it was VERY hard but they are all with WONDERFUL people and I can tell you honestly that it has made a big difference because I dont have to worry if they are getting enough love and attention.

If you are going to let people adopt them, make sure you start looking for people early so that you arent left with the stress of trying to find homes at the last minute. 

I would have loved to take my children with and I still miss them because they all got adopted in September last year when we sold our house, but unfortunately we couldnt afford to do it.

Good luck - its not easy either way!!!  :(

Offline hadenough

• Certified Addict
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2008, 02:48:55 pm »

Offline Badprop

• Certified Addict
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2008, 03:45:36 pm »
We were gonna put out our dogs on Wednesday but after the burglary decided to do it on Friday.  After phoning all the people and vets again to hear if they didn't have a response on the flyers I put up on their notice boards..... the one vet's receptionist is taking one :clap:  Now the cat and one dog have good homes to go to.  The other dog is sick and suffering at the moment so we decided to put him out.

From thinking we would have to put all 3 down, we only doing the one.  Still sad but such a relief too.     
Take life with a pinch of salt ... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila