Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Pets  (Read 8711 times)

Offline Bevmac

Re: Pets
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2008, 11:54:19 am »
I too am TOTALLY devastated   :'( about my animals, i have 2 horses, 2 dogs and 1 cat i have to find homes for!!

I just cannot afford to take them with me, horses are like R90 000 per horse (flight only) and dogs and cats are as everyone else has mentioned already.

I dont even know when i should start putting up the horses for sale i cant bring myself to do it, its just so heartbreaking, but unfortunately its something i have to face soon so i guess i need to start facing the reality of it.  :'( :'( :'(

Good Luck to all that are in a similar position of looking for homes or having to PTS.  I can TOTALLY sypathise!!  :-\ :(

Offline hadenough

• Certified Addict
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2008, 02:47:32 pm »
 :flowers: :flowers: Bevmac.  Probably one of the most difficult things you are going to have to do!  Hope you find very good homes for them.  It helps when you are comfortable knowing they are going to be looked after properly, even although you will always miss them :-\

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2008, 02:47:32 pm »

Offline Bevmac

« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2008, 02:54:55 pm »
Thanks so much hadenough, means alot when someone can sympathise, makes one feel a little bit better i guess :-\.

Just really not looking forward to seeing them go out of my life :'(

Offline Woopsie

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2008, 04:31:17 pm »
I will have to face the same!! Working hard to convince my hubby to take my Yorkie -girl!! She is just over a year and will still have many many years with us. She is my life!! Can't think how to leave her. I've already started getting quotes for "NEW YORKIES IN NZ" The are very expensive so I'm trying to use that as some kind of leverage. >:D :angel:

I'm really thinking of you. I know it is very difficult!!

Offline Badprop

• Certified Addict
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2008, 10:45:59 pm »
Ladies lots of (((HUGS))) for you.  It is very difficult and I wouldn't go through that day again for all the money in the world.  Lots of  :flowers: :flowers: for all of you.
Take life with a pinch of salt ... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila

Offline Trac

« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2008, 06:18:23 pm »
bevmac my colleague at work is horse crazy she has her own horses do you maybe want me to chat to her about what you can do with your horses?? How old are they what do you have?? Let me know...
Cheers
Trac

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2008, 06:30:27 pm »
Bev don't worry ... yes it's sad we had to give away 5 dogs and a cat and some gold fishes ... but around here there's horses calore, dogs are not that big, cats are everywhere, and of course sheep. So we got a ram "Rambo" an eve "candy" and a horse "Arnie", two Indian runner geese "Juan and Suri" and a rabbit, just "Mr. Rabbit"

We have around 7 cats running around on the farm all of them wild but they are warming up towards us, slowly very slowly, ... all in all we love it here.

« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2008, 06:30:27 pm »

Offline Bevmac

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2008, 08:12:08 pm »
Johan, sounds right up my alley!!! ;)

Can one rent farms or small holdings?  I have been browsing rentals and havent come accross anything along those lines?

Where do you stay in NZ?

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2008, 11:31:39 pm »
You can rent them but will have to look a bit rural - I think you look under lifestyle blocks

Offline Versitak

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2008, 05:30:30 pm »
Hi, I see nobody has mentioned the cost.  It cost aprox R 35 000 for the whole experience. for 1 cat. Consider: what is worse......quarrentine or your pet never seeing you again? I agree, get the blood test, etc done IN ADVANCE. You may need at LEAST 7 months to organise everything that needs to be done. Your pet may not leave for NZ less than 6 months from the date of the rabies blood draw.Our cat Binky is going to Keringa for a month(SA), then 4 months at Pet haven in NZ. Binky has to stay a month before we go because I was quick deciding to go, slow on the quarrentine process!!! Your pet will have to do 4 months in NZ, there is no choice, and the month in SA is NOT compulsary, dont believe the nonsense! Your pet may fly the same day direct from your house, but you have to be organised, this is not for sissys. Binky is 12 and so had to go through the geriatric profile test and organ sonar. Petsure wont pay for any of this. Also NB your pet will NOT be able to fly unless you are legally allowed to live in NZ ie. PR, Work permit.  ;)

Offline stella.mike

« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2008, 02:00:54 pm »
 :'( :'( :'(  I had the terrible experience last week to take my 4 legged children to their new homes. mike decided that we should let them go before move to Estcourt  maybe we want to go to NZ earlier and then we will struggle to get them to nice homes because we do not know that much people in estcourt. so I the lovely task to deliver them.  My heart were broken I got a nice home for the dogs but nobody wanted the cats so they when to the spca.  The tears just rolled but I had to be strong because the kids was with me and I didn't want to upset them more than they already were. So I will miss them very much as I am at home and when the kids go to school I will have no company at all.  So that it one of my sacrifices for a better future for my family

Offline gonz

• a whole lotta stuff going on!
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2008, 02:22:39 pm »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
stella.mike, sorry you had to go through with that pain, it could have not been nice at all!

I know when i sent my two girls to my folks, my gf and i sat and balled our eyes and hearts out...i had to though, was movin into a complex and i didnt feel it was fair to keep them locked up........although, they may have loved the couches though ;D

Good luck and chin up my friend, you'll not be all that alone with the all wonderful folks here at sagtnz.

Take care

« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2008, 02:22:39 pm »

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2008, 02:37:38 pm »
 :'(  :'(  :'( Stella we have to do the same with "Lady" and hope she will be ok with the new owners when we move to NZ.

Offline hadenough

• Certified Addict
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2008, 03:10:04 pm »
 :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: to all of you  :'( :'( :'(

Offline Doreen

« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2008, 07:19:41 pm »
Versitak, it is  more or less R50 000 for my dog that weight 26 kg.... It can be more -  counting  the money in that I pay my mom to look after her till she can go to Karinga and the people I must pay to help my mom to get her at Karinga. But it is every penny worth!! ::) I don't care what people think or say. It is best for her and me. I understand completely how people feel who must leave their pets behind. I have to do it also, all I can say is that it gets better as the time go on. Sterkte!!