South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Pets  (Read 8720 times)

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
Re: Pets
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2008, 11:04:06 pm »
 :'( :'( :'(
Stella.mike, my heart goes out to you.  I had to watch the new family take my two cats (5 years old).  I had visitors which made it really hard.  But I still had my good  :'(
Even though I know they went to a good home.  It was that or have them put down. 
It is not easy, be strong.  It will get better.

Offline stella.mike

« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2008, 07:50:22 am »
thanks for all your messages I needed to share this with someone.  The heartache will get better with time I hope and I know my doggies is in good hands.  A hearty thanks to you all. 

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2008, 07:50:22 am »

Offline Thurla

« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2008, 09:21:52 pm »
Hello,

We are planning on taking our Golden Retriever and 1 of our cats.  My mom will take the 2 older cats (mother and daughter)  :)

I was VERY worried about the quarantine period, but from what I've read here, the animals are well adjusted when they finally get back with their families ... is this right? 

I would love to be reassured that we are doing the right thing.  I keep worrying we're doing this for "us" and not for them, as we have offers from friends to take both the dog and the cat, but the dog is not negotiable (my husband would crack!) and the cat is joined to me at the hip!

We have microchipped them both, but I've been looking for reassurance that they will cope in quarantine - please can someone who's been through it tell me how their animals coped?

Thanks so much!

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2008, 11:53:00 pm »
Firstly, Welcome to the site Thurla :clap:

I haven't personally brought animals from SA to NZ, but a couple we knew in Auckland brought over 2 dogs and they said that they were fine afterwards O0

I think it depends on the animal, some might find it difficult, but most are fine O0 :gl:

Offline WendyH

• Certified Addict
  • Otorohanga, Waikato
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2008, 05:12:36 am »
Hi Thurla, welcome to the site.
There has been a lot of discussion on the forum on the pros and cons of bringing animals. Use the search facility at the top of the page to see what other members say.
 :gl:
EOI selected - 21 May 2008
ITA received - 1 July 2008
ITA lodged - 14 July 2008
PR approved in principle 04 May 2009
Received passports with stickers - 03 June 2009

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2008, 07:52:03 am »
We collected our dogs from quarantine today  :clap:
They have been absolutely fine in quarantine and have slotted back into our family like they have never been away. 
Can very highly recommend Qualified Pet services!! :)

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2008, 07:54:19 am »
Hi Thurla welcome to the family  :clap: and  :gl:

« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2008, 07:54:19 am »

Offline Thurla

« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2008, 03:03:47 pm »
Hi all

Thanks so much for the re-assurance.  I did check the other posts, and it does seem as if most animals DON'T come out worse for wear  :clap: I'm so very relieved.

I think you are 100% correct in saying it also depends on the animal - the 2 we won't bring along, we don't think they could cope.  The older cat is too pieperig, and the other one (her daughter) is quite wild.  And my mom has offered to care for them.  (We'll have to deal with this issue again, though, when we can sponsor my mom, she'll be joining us over there. ::) )

The cat we will take along is the smallest and youngest, but we're sure she fancies herself a lion!  She even tries to eat our dog's bone, which is bigger than her!!  ;D 
And our dog charms the socks off everyone he comes across, so we don't forsee a problem with him (other than the dent it'll make in our pockets, of course  :o )

Thanks again for the reassurance, and we should be there by the end of the year ... hubbie is already starting work there on 1 July ... I'm sorting out everything on this side  :crazy2:

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2008, 08:50:04 pm »
Congrats MJ, you must be so excited to have your furry family members with you now O0

Offline Badprop

• Certified Addict
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2008, 09:16:11 pm »
Jaaayy MJ!  No more Sunday trips now. O0  Bet you gonna spoil them rotten for the first year.  So fes up, did they or didn't they sleep on the bed. :)
Take life with a pinch of salt ... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2008, 10:19:51 pm »
Of course thay slept in the bed!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Badprop

• Certified Addict
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2008, 02:01:53 am »
  :2funny::twothumbs:

Hope they have better manners than this one of ours.  She climbs in under the covers head first so when you turn around, guess what is in your face........?  Yup, no manners this one.
Take life with a pinch of salt ... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila

« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2008, 02:01:53 am »

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2008, 08:31:50 am »
Hope they have better manners than this one of ours.  She climbs in under the covers head first so when you turn around, guess what is in your face........?  Yup, no manners this one.

:2funny:

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2008, 04:28:02 pm »
Proppie - Thats were the say thing comes from - BOTTOMS UP  :2funny:

Offline hadenough

• Certified Addict
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2008, 06:40:21 pm »
Great MJ,glad it all worked out so well O0